Thursday, October 10, 2013

the eye of the beholder.

Each and every day I walk by dozens of streets, all unique and worth a little admiration. After finding myself stopping on numerous occasions to take a picture of a street that caught my eye, I am disappointed with how unimpressive the picture is on the screen after. 

(Side street by my apartment)

I have come to the realization that a lot of what makes this city beautiful simply cannot be captured in a photograph, it is to be experienced in the moment.

(Passage through Vernazza)

Looking through all of my photographs trying to decide what to write about this week, I discovered a lot of random street pictures. I guess my fascination is rooted in wanting to get to know the real culture of the country, somehow these side streets provide a window for that. We need to appreciate the city as a whole and find the beauty in more than just the overcrowded famous buildings, monuments, and artwork. 

(Oltrano)

Art is not always the traditional painting, drawing, or sculpture. The artistic layout of a street or the architectural elements lining it are an aesthetic experience on their own.

(San Gimignano)

1 comment:

  1. I can completely sympathize with your disappointment! I feel as though I’m constantly walking through a painting, and yet I have an extremely difficult time capturing that on my camera. Perhaps it is because singular moments are impossible to define and imprison (for we are meant only to experience them in the present), or perhaps I just need a better camera.

    ReplyDelete