Wednesday, October 2, 2013

context.

As I venture into my third week here in Florence, I find that I have gotten so comfortable in my new surroundings that I already need to remind myself of where I am. I am living in a historically rich, artistic, and profound city. Buildings and artwork that I pass by on a daily basis have made monumental impacts on the artistic world that we currently know. As a result, I have made a pact with myself to pause at least once a day and recognize the beauty in something.

Today this came into play as I walked through Piazza della Signoria. Normally used as a mere path of transportation, I have tended to get in and out of this tourist packed square as fast as I could, occasionally rolling my eyes at the oblivious tourists. Today I decided to stop and bear the crowds to actually observe the magnificent sculptures, which are well deserving of the crowds they attract.

Since the origin of this blog is school based, I should incorporate some of what I have been learning here in Florence into my thoughts. This week's class discussion was on the basis of context and the way in which the display of art can effect the audience's perception of society. In Piazza della Signoria there are many famous sculptures and replicas out on display. In general, the main figures in these works are idealized men who are portrayed as powerful and fearless. The replica of Michelangelo's David was created as a heroic symbol of protection and strength as well as Bandinelli's Hercules and Cacus, a more prominent visual of power. These statues, along with Perseus Holding the Head of Medusa, Menelaus Supporting the Body of Patroclus, Hercules Beating the Centaur Nessus, and Rape of the Sabine Woman, all have one thing in common: a depiction of the dominant man. These iconic and "ideal" images, whether shown through physical domination, violence, or warrior imagery, all contribute to one perception of our society: that in which a man must strive to be heroic and powerful.


Michelangelo's David (replica)

Bandinelli's Hercules and Cacus

Cellini's Perseus Holding the Head of Medusa

Menelaus Supporting the Body of Patroclus

Boulogne and Francavilla's Hercules Beating the Centaur Nessus

Giambologna's Rape of the Sabine Woman 

So what is the point? Most people just simply admire the technique and realistic rendering of the human figure in these sculptures. My favorite part of the class I am taking here in Florence is that we analyze the aspects surrounding a work of art that I wouldn't have given a second thought before. When viewing these particular sculptures together I realized that there is a strong socially constructed view of masculinity suggested. Man is not portrayed as intellectual or spiritual, solely warrior-like. This process has made me think; how often then is the context of a work of art actually affecting the message it is conveying? What other subliminal messages have been conveyed to me through the medium or art exhibition?

1 comment:

  1. The theme of total dominance that weaves together the sculptures of Piazza della Signoria makes a striking statement about gender stereotypes (as you stated), and also proposes an interesting question: why make such a statement in such an area? If the same statues were displayed in a gallery exhibition, I wouldn’t think anything of it, but why would the city choose to put such statues in the Loggia dei Lanzi?—An area that was once the platform for government officials to speak to the city. Perhaps it’s a political statement, or perhaps I’m just reading too much into it.

    ReplyDelete