Thursday, October 24, 2013

surroundings.

This week I decided to really look at the art that is displayed in my apartment. Oddly enough, it has taken me a month and a half to do so even though I have done nothing but observe all kinds of art ever since we landed here in Italy. 

The works displayed throughout our apartment are incredibly diverse and of several artistic styles. I pictured a few of them below and yes there are many more. Although none of these works seem to connect or "flow" together in a room , I have grown fond of each and every one of them. There is something beautiful to be found in each work uniquely. 

This raised a question, does art need to be displayed with works of a similar time period, style, or theme? How does this change or effect our perception of the art? I at first viewed these pieces as completely random and even tacky because of the lack of cohesiveness but I began to see them in a different light. Because these works are so drastically different, it allows the viewer to look at them as individuals instead of absorbing the entire exhibit at once. 






3 comments:

  1. I love this post. I love it because, for all of the times I have been at your apartment, I have never given the art a second look. Seeing the pieces on this blog though makes me really take a moment to look at them as art instead of just decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's very interesting that we have this tendency to completely gloss over artwork unless it is in a specific setting. We get used to seeing it in museums but must concentrate to appreciate art when it is on the wall of a home, even if it is a copy of the same piece in a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand it took me a while too to take a second look at the paintings at my apartment. Living in Florence we have the luxury of walking into a museum and even a church and see a piece of art. We have become accustomed to the idea of walking into a gallery and see the exhibition as the curator planned it to be telling a story to the public.

    ReplyDelete